Saturday 8 June 2013

Get Drunk and Listen to Folk Metal! + Game of Thrones Mini-Special

Writer's block is a bitch. Urgh!  Anyway, Welcome back to the Randomizer!

Before we get started on today's article, I would first like to point out I have a little talk about Game of Thrones right at the end of this article. WARNING: SPOILERS! If you'd like to read that first, your more then welcome to. Though it might bring back unpleasant memories. Otherwise, carry on to the main feature.
--------------------------------------------------------
So we haven't had a music-themed article for a good while, since the 27 guestlist I wrote a couple months ago. Now would be a good time to talk about a developing passion I have since my college days for a particular type of music, and would like to talk about today to share with you all.

As some of you may know, I have a world-wide range of music tastes ranging from Spice Girls (yes, Spice Girls) to Judas Priest (yes, Judas Priest) to film soundtracks. And yes, Spice Girls and Judas Priest are in the same sentence. Problem?

But mostly, I am a heavy metal/rock enthusiast. I enjoy all sorts of great tunes from what I'm proclaiming as the "GODS OF METAL!" such as Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ronnie James Dio and Metallica; to European bands such as Within Temptation, Lordi, Helloween, and one of my all time favourites Nightwish.

To allow smugness levels, I have a picture with Marco Hietala and Jukka Nevalainen.




:D

Now here's where things get a bit off. Heavy Metal and Rock music is obviously very different to the other main genres like Pop and Rap, in terms of lyrics and music styles. But also unlike those two Heavy Metal has its own peculiar family tree of sorts. If you type in Metal family tree into google, you'll find some images of how from its early origins in the 60s, it has become a diverse culture in o itself. Think London with all its diversity of cultures from other cultures around the world, replace them with metal and I think you can take it from there.

Sam Dunn for his documentary film Metal: A Headbangers Journey devised this tree and showed how the classic rock/metal bands like my god Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath had influenced future bands in their development of metal sounds, turning them into their own sub-genre of heavy metal. Such sub-genres included are:

·        Thrash Metal combining elements of really fast shredding tracks and social issues that might even relate to todays world. The most well known in this genre are the Big Four: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthax.


·                                                                                                                                               The Big Four altogether

      Metalcore: The Metal taste of today and not my favourite genre. Combines screaming vocals (god!) with said fast riffs and shreds. The most famous of these are Killswitch Engage, Bullet For My Valentine and As I Lay Dying.


·                                                                                                                                                      Killswitch Engage

      Symphonic Metal: Takes opera and power metal elements in creating one of the best forms of metal I ever had the pleasure of listening to. Such bands include Nightwish, Blind Guardian and Sonata Artica.


                                                                                                                                                     Blind Guardian

So where am I going with this? Well, as I mentioned there is one sub-genre of heavy metal I have developed a passion for.

Folk Metal.


No, not any acoustic guitars lying around here like some traditional folk bands dotted around, the bands in this genre make use of a variety of different musical instruments. You have your electric guitars and drums, but also tin whistles, hurdy gurdy, fiddle, and even bagpipes. My God I want to listen to that! Bagpipes in a metal song. Actually I might have already done so. If Metalcore is the emo child of the heavy metal family, then folk metal is more than likely the hippy child.

Since I've managed to introduce myself to it, I have enjoyed a number of folk metal bands that just a great appeal to listen to. There's something I clearly love about it and I'm going to share it with you today.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once upon a time in the metal world far far away...............

Most people say the first folk metal album ever was released in 1991 when Skyclad released their debut album, 'The Wayward Sons of Mother Earth'. The album had the inclusion of a violin on certain tracks, with some keyboard playing as well. It was well-received in the metal community and opened up a new world of experimentation to play with.



A year later, the Irish band Cruachan was formed, becoming one of the more famous pioneers of Folk Metal ever created. They had an early success with their debut album 'Tuatha na Gael' in 1995. Unfortunately, the final product was a failure in their eyes due to the poor sound and production. Subsequently they didn't release another one until 2000.

In that mid-decade, a few other bands came into the fold of the sub-genres early beginnings. Subway to Sally released their debut album in 1994, speaking in English and using Irish and Scottish influences into their music. For their second album MCMXCV, they retorted to speaking in their native German and developed their sound into a more apparent medieval style of folk metal.

The actual explosion of Folk Metal took place in 2000, coming from probably my favourite country for music: Finland and the band known as Finntroll. Their debut album Midnattens Widunder was a fusion of black metal with traditional Finnish polka music. The result was it apparently. Three bands from the native Finland joined at the forefront of Folk Metal. Although let's not discount Cruachan, they were knocking about around that same time so they must have contributed something to the rise.

Now thirteen years have passed, the Folk Metal genre is still alive and well in European countries, most prominently in Scandinavia. And it shows no signs of slowing down yet, which is good. Finntroll have released their sixth album Blodsvept this year and I might have only heard the one song so far, but I have high hopes! Cruachan released their latest one a couple years ago, and my opinion of it will shown below.
I'm glad to say I am becoming ever more a fan of this particular genre. So I think now's a good time to talk about my experience with Folk Metal, and what bands I have enjoyed listening to over the past few years.

----------------------

I decided to try and branch out my interest in music and came upon my first taste of a very different kind of sub-genre. This was done in the honoured way of typing in Celtic Metal in Youtube and I came upon Cruachan and their song "Bloody Sunday". I instantly fell in love with this song, with the combination of flute and guitar playing in the foreground. And the lyrics are deep, talking about the conspiracy behind the Bloody Sunday event of 1972. I really like the ending lyric:

"This tyranny will not go un-noticed, our day will come again"

After that I started to listen to a few more songs from their album Folk-Lore album, getting more and more interested with such songs as 'Ossian's Return', a fast paced song that resembles more heavy metal, but still has a flute somewhere; and one of my old favourites 'Ride On', which oddly enough has Shane McGowan as a guest vocalist (and he sounds so rough, though his screaming vocals are good).



Eventually (or maybe inevitably) I brought the Folk-Lore album and I do not regret it. I think it is a good starting for anyone who cares to take an interest in Folk Metal. There are a good number to listen to: Bloody Sunday, Ossian's Return, Ride On, Susie Moran, and The Rocky Road to Dublin. Some might take some getting like Exiles and The Children of Lir. But Spancil Hil would sooo good, if it didn't have Shane McGowan being the lead singer. Seriously, he fucking slurs all over the place.

Admittedly, it is the only Cruachan album I have, but I would still give it a time and day to listen properly. But I think there is some hope for me yet, and you too. Their recent album, Blood on the Black Robe has some good songs, like I am Warrior and the instrumental Brian Buru's March (which has the BEST DRUMMING EVER EVEN THOUGH THIS IS THE SECOND TIME I'VE HEARD THIS SONG :D). Actually you know I would really buy this CD pretty soon!

(Listening to Pagan Hate)

Yep, definitely buying this album. That song just exploded!



Cruachan is a good band to start with if you're a beginner.

Now what other bands could I talk about....going from Ireland for a second to Switzerland, and their folk metal export Eluveitie (El-u-vei-tie; in case you're having difficulty with pronunciation).


I got into them around the same time as Cruachan, exploring around on Youtube for other bands in that similar genre, and listened to their song Inis Mona. From the off, this band is definitely more of a fusion then Cruachan. All the instruments are gelled together very well and nothing is left out. The lead singer is quite the fan of screaming vocals too, and it's not horrible at all. But sometimes I'd like to imagine some singing during the chorus that matches along with the music. Then again, it would lead to something like Metalcore. No Metalcore thanks.

It was that song that did influence me to get the album Slania that had the song included. Needless to say, I enjoy this album. It is a purer fusion of folk instrumentation and heavy metal together as the songs feel seamless throughout. There are some small acoustic songs that appear in the album, Anagantios and Giamonios and they are well done indeed. Easily listenable and beautiful in their sound. But they don't take much away from the overall of pounding guitar riffs and drumming that mostly appears throughout the album.
What might throw some people off for a minute is that the eighth track Slania's Song isn't spoken in English but in Gaulish, an extinct language from ancient times. It's hard to get your tongue around a few times without reading the lyrics, but practice makes perfect. Still it is a good song to listen to and maybe you'll be singing along to it without realising your singing in a different language.

(Ok I'm going on a tangent here and say if Gaulish is dead, why is it on this album? The same goes with Latin and maybe a few more languages around the world. If even one person speaks it, does that really count as an extinct language? I don't think it means that. It these kind of things that does annoy me, because if one sings the language, that could mean for just about four minutes or more, the language become alive once more. At least until the world blows up).

Like Cruachan, this is still the only Eluveitie album I have as far. But also I have listened to a recent song called A Rose for Epona, released last year for their album Helveitios. It is a good song too. Not their best, but still good. I should really try to find the other songs to that CD in a hope that I might consider buying it like Blood on the Black Robe. The same goes with their other song Omnos. The flute playing is fantastic, but oddly I did get a pop feel from it. I did not hear much of a guitar riff or drumming or anything like that. It is a good song don't get me wrong, but it's not something you'd expect from a folk metal band is it?

To wrap up, Slania is a good album to get, and it is such a fantastic representation of Folk Metal. It contains a number of their best works and brings you into a different world altogether. Inis Mona and Slania's Song are the best songs to listen to as they get you properly If you have a chance, get the CD that has the bonus track of Samon. It's an acoustic track of the first song, but it is a bewildering listen. You will feel yourself becoming quite relaxed and at peace for the minute and a half.



Listening to some of their other songs, I got the idea that they are evolving their style ever more as the years pass. And sadly, it has not done me much favours as of yet. But I will try to listen to more of these pieces on Youtube before I pass a more reasonable judgement.

Eluveitie is a band I enjoy, but maybe not as much as Cruachan. The latter edges it by a considerable margin.
Although after I heard of a certain Finnish folk metal band, its going to be slightly debatable. No it's not Nightwish. It is the band that started off the folk metal explosion in the first place: Finntroll.



This is a band I've only started listening to and don't really know a lot, apart from the fact that their lyrics are based on trolls and the mythology of trolls. Imagine if something like that played in Lord of the Rings. Might have that sequence in Moria more epic. But after hearing at least three of their songs, I would consider buying their albums. Like Eluveitie, they make use of screaming vocals without the possibility of developing laryngitis. But they have some clean vocals as well.

The title track of their first album Midnattens Widunder is a good track to listen to. The music is easy to get into and fast-paced enough to create a mosh pit in your own room! Oddly enough, the polka music appears quite sporadically around in places, but it's not misplaced as the sound matches nicely with the guitar riffs. You might be forgiven for thinking that this song doesn't have that much folk instrumentation in it at all because you hardly hear it. It's hard not to because all you really hear is the heavy metal so much more.

Blodsvept is their recent release and I'll be talking about the same title track too. After some troll trawling, grunting and burping, the song jumps out at you. It definitely has more of a heavy metal style, with some folk instruments not coming in until 2 and a half minutes in the song. Then it goes to back to screaming. Maybe it's possible to say their moving away from their folk metal origins? Not just yet, until the whole album is heard. Despite the lack thereof, it's still an enjoyable song to listen to.




                                                                                                                                                   Blodsvept

The last song I'll talk about, Under Dvargens Foot, is from their fifth release Nifelvind. When I first started listen to it, it sounded like a circus performance. Something that belongs in A Nightmare Before Christmas. It's a strange song to say the least, and not to be repeated on a daily basis. But there are some good moments. You can hear more of the folk tradition stuff here than in the other songs and you can sort of dance to it but you might end embarrassing yourself in front of everyone else.

Listening to these songs, I do get the impression that Finntroll is NOT a folk metal band. Yes, there are some folk instruments lying around in different songs. But you don't get that impression after hearing them. Probably after reading up notes on their albums or even reading this would you have an idea that they are folk metal. They just sounded more on par with other heavy metal bands, with good music in tow, but hardly any folk stuff to back themselves up with.

I'll admit this is only a beginning judgement and not a full on one since I haven't heard a complete album from them yet. I suppose that's the difference between listening to Finntroll and Cruachan/Eluveitie. I have less to talk about the former then I do with the latter. However, remembering them back in my mind I do enjoy listening to their music, because there is a certain beauty to it all. So I would definitely like to hear one of their albums before judging a book by its cover. At least until after Blood on the Black Robe ;).

-------------------------------------------------------------
These three bands are just a crab's scuttle entry fee into the realm of Folk Metal. And granted, you might be thrown back initially by the music being so different compare to mainstream metal bands nowadays. And of course you might not even like this sort of music for whatever reason. But I urge you to at least have a listen to one of these three bands, or another one that I haven't listed and hope you will joining this fanbase of metal subgenre.

Folk Metal is still something that is growing on me throughout the future. It's something I still come back into every now and then when I probably should try and expand my range into it. The music is good and you get an idea about what these guys and girls write about and how they can connect with certain audiences. Their lyrics can either be social issues that still run deep or grow a new mythology.

All I can really say now is go onto YouTube, type in Folk Metal or any one of the bands I've suggest and listen. And if I somehow managed to inspire you on the way in creating your own folk metal band, thank you :)
.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
That's it for this week sadly. Booo. Oh well maybe my writer's block will lighten up soon haha!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Game of Thrones Mini-special:
So you decided to take a look, have you? You poor soul.

You may remember the prediction I made involving the episode title called 'The Rains of Castamere' and how the series might use some elements from the second part of the third book. Some of you might have guessed what I was talking about. Others might not have understood what I was gibbering on for.



Well low and behold, it came true. I knew it was coming, but I could not shake off the fear of what was coming. And it was brutal. Fucking brutal. Made more so from the impact of Tulisa's practically violent death. Thinking back on it, that was the killer part for me, the one moment that made me gasp out and hold my mouth. Everything else from Robb being shot by arrows to Catelyn's one iota of happiness ripped out of her was shocking enough, but that one moment will stay in my mind for a good while. They should have Game of Thrones therapy sessions so everyone can have a good cry at the character's demise. I hope Walder Frey dies very slowly and painfully.....and I'm not exactly looking forward to 'An Adventure in Time in Space' special that's due to be released this year L.


Susan Foreman would be horrified if she knew the truth of her grandfather. No wonder he ran away from Gallifrey! 

What will happen now? Robb Stark is dead. Catelyn is dead. Tony Stark is dead (Don't worry he gets reincarnated into Iron Man in Marvel's Universe so it's all good). The Starks as a major household are finished. At least for the time being. With the house's demise, The Lannisters have truly become the dominant house in the whole of Westeros, save for Stannis Baratheon and his army. And that war will undoubtedly continue in earnest.




But for now, I await the aftermath of the finale on Sunday and see what the repercussions will be throughout the land, and spare a thought for the victims of the Red Wedding. .....


No comments:

Post a Comment